Friday, September 7, 2007

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Sorry about no update yesterday. One of those days. Chased my own tail from the time I woke up until I finally hit the sack. The worst part? I never caught it. On to today:

I could really get carried away talking about Ric Flair (pictured). The
man, simply put, is one of my all-time sports idols. When I was a kid, I made no distinction between The Nature Boy and Hank Aaron or Muhammad Ali. I was watching five or six wrestling shows a week and Ric was the recognized world champion on four of them (Georgia Championship Wrestling, Florida Championship Wrestling, Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling, and World-Class Wrestling). Hulk Hogan, on his best day, couldn't lace Ric Flair's boots...and, deep down, he knows it. So I was incredibly bummed earlier this week to learn that Ric, dissatisfied with the current booking direction of his character, had abruptly given his notice to WWE and was talking retirement. Well...the good news is that, looking at a depleted talent roster due to injuries and suspensions, WWE has apparently reached a deal with Flair that will involve him in a major, main event storyline leading up to a farewell match at next year's Royal Rumble or WrestleMania. Given Flair's age (58...amazing, isn't it?), I doubt it will be a title match against the likes of a John Cena or Triple H. But there is still a "money" match out there for Ric Flair. It's against another living legend. Two guys who've minced no words in their respective books about their disdain for each other. My prediction? WrestleMania 2008, Farewell Match: Ric Flair vs. Mick Foley. And, please...for these last few months? Let Flair be Flair. No more of the emo, fan-friendly, crying-at-the-drop-of-a-hat living statue that he's been for the last couple of years. Ric Flair absolutely must go out as the cocky, arrogant, stylin' and profilin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin', jet flyin', limousine ridin' son of a gun that we all grew up with. Whether you like it...or you don't...get used to it. 'Cause it's the best thing going today. Diamonds are forever...and so is Ric Flair. YOU KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT, FAT BOY! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I get the mental image of Fred Thompson levitating these poor campaign staffers and then Force-choking them out like Darth Vader. "Now YOU are in charge, Mr. Harris. Bring me the liberals...I want them alive!" Seriously, what is up with all the turnover in this guy's campaign operation?

Missed the Republican debate from a couple of nights ago but I did read the accounts of Mitt Romney smiling like an idiot as he got lit up by the father of some kids serving in Iraq over his comments about his five sons' valiant service in his campaign. This egotistical, preening dullard can't get winnowed out of this field fast enough to suit me.

Remember that terrific, inspiring Rick Ankiel story? Never mind.

Finally...Back with an official Quick Prediction for the Georgia game later on tonight. I will tell you right now, though...I've got a feeling we're rolling up on those Gamecocks tomorrow night. So make sure you're a good Bulldog by assisting our friends from Columbia with their post-game directions home: "High-way twen-ty! (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap) High-way twen-ty! (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap)"

No comments: